In order to make a place for his latter day revelations, as they are called, Joseph Smith had to attack the confidence of people in the Bible. One of the ways this was done was by the insertion of the following in the Book of Mormon, I Nephi 13:24-29.
“24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.
25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.
26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.
27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.
28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.
29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.”
Mormons tell us that the “book” spoken of here is the Bible. The “great and abominable church is the Roman Catholic Church. The claim is that the Catholic Church removed plain and precious teachings from the Bible which is why people stumble, i.e., why there is religius division. It was also claimed that the Book of Mormon replaces those plain and precious parts that had been removed by the Catholic Church. No doubt that they would include other supposed revelations of Joseph Smith.
However, there are several facts that refute such a position and show the Book of Mormon to be a mere fabrication of Joseph Smith, most of which was plagiarized from then existing works such as View of The Hebrews by Ethan Smith. Here are those facts:
(1) The Roman Catholic Church was not in existence for the first six centuries. If it had tried to make any changes, the Greek Church would have exposed it. Though there were differences of “interpretation” between church leaders, no one complained about anything being removed form the sacred text.
(2) Our manuscripts come from the period BEFORE the Catholic Church existed. If there were no manuscripts in existence at all, we could stil reproduce the Bible from the writings of the church leaders in the first three centuries. In controversies and teaching, they quoted from the Bible extensively. These writers only censured others for perverting scripture, not for taking anything away out of the text.
(3) If they could delete, they could also add or change doctrines. However, we do not find Catholic dcotrine added to the Bible but to the contrary. The Bible condemns Catholic doctrine.
(4) Mormons claim the Apostle John has never died. Being an inspired apostle who was still living, he could have stopped any tampering with scripture. Where was he and where is he now?
(5) Mormons claim that religious division exists because these parts were removed by the Catholic Church. It is further claimed that the Book of Mormon replaces those plain and precious parts that had been removed by the Catholic Church. WHY, THEN, ARE MORMONS DIVIDED? There are a large number of groups claiming to be the true Mormons and condemning all other such groups as apostate. Neither the Book of Mormon nor any other Mormon publication has produced unity in the movement.
(6) The first book supposedly “translated” by Smith from the golden plates, the Book of Lehi, was stolen by the wife of Martin Harris, one of the “witnesses” to the book. It disappeared never to surface again. We have only Smith’s claims that he made to cover up its disappearance.
(7) There is no way to know how many Mormon “revelations” have never been published. This means that very few have ever seen them. Several years ago, one Mormon professor at BYU, doing research in Mormon history, was allowed access to the more sensitive documents in the vaults and was so shocked by what he found that it destroyed his faith in Mormonism. There are many “plain and precious parts” in Mormonism that are not found in Mormon scriptures. In addition, there have been hundreds of additions and deletions to Mormon “inspired” scriptures with some “revelations” completely reversed from the original. This includes the Book of Mormon. Thousands of changes were made in that book after it was supposedly translated by the power of God and before it ever went to the printer. After the first printing, there were over 4000 changes made in the text from what is found in the copies today. The Doctrine & Covenants likewise underwent many critical changes. The first "revelations" to Smith appeared in the Kirtland Revelation Book. Some appeared in early Mormon newspapers. Later, some were so changed that they meant the opposite of the original and the early newspapers were reprinted with the revised version to cover up the change.
THE ONLY REASON THAT I NEPHI 13:24-29 WAS INCLUDED IN THE BOOK OF MORMON WAS TO DESTROY CONFIDENCE IN THE BIBLE IN ORDER TO MAKE ROOM FOR MORMON SCRIPTURES